Monday, July 20, 2009

Are All Artists Tortured?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeNgwMI8Xa8

The video above features a successful recording artist in England. (Come on, watch it.)

The video reminds me of when I danced. I was a ballerina for a while.

My body style was never right for it. But I worked hard to overcome my physical inadequacies. A few ballet companies later...

I attempted Jazz. THIS was where I belonged. By the time I found out, it was too late.

There was this guy in class. He was from the wrong side of the tracks, the Latin Ghetto.He had no training, just talent.

We took over the floor. We ran over the other dancers. We were unstoppable.

Sometimes the instructor would stop, "Class, see that? THAT'S what I'm talking about."

He went on to perform in countless MTV Videos. I was too old, I thought. Sometimes I wonder.

I remember the feeling of knowing I was good. I was shy. But when I danced, no one could stop me.

I had these muscular legs. (No one believes me now.) One day after class a man asked if I would model for a calendar that featured great legs.

I declined. Recently I realized that I've declined every opportunity. I was offered a job with Calvin Klein Industries when I was 21. It was the dream of a lifetime. It just landed in my lap.

I never did it. It was too easy. I didn't feel I deserved it.

Then I came across the video above. The singer lands in re-hab after each successful recording. An interviewer asked him, "Why does this happen? It's like you're trying to sabotage your own success".

The singer replied, "I dunno. I guess I don't think I deserve it".

3 comments:

SweetPeaSurry said...

hey fellow dancah! pretty sad about the re-hab dude, sometimes it takes people longer to learn than others.

we've learned though right? we're grabbing that brass ring when it's held out to us ... amirite? amirite?

now ... strap on your jazz shoes ... or whatnot ... we're heading out to do a little jump n jive baybee!!!

blessings!

Everyday Goddess said...

I think saying Yes is more fun than saying No.

Paul Eilers said...

Everything happens for a reason.

Paul

Eat Well. Live Well.
PurpleGreenPops.com