Wednesday, November 18, 2009

What's YOUR Motto?

Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove.
Oh no, it is an ever-fixed mark.

Okay. I’ve altered. So shoot me. You still have to love me. It’s the rules. Didn’t you go to the school of Shakespeare?

I noticed I was the only one there. I hoped you were invisible… like everyone else.

I knew you weren’t there. But I felt you coming. It’s the reason I checked out of the school of Shakespeare. I had to find you. I had to.

Too much literature and romance can screw a person up.

Now you’re here and I don’t know how to deal with you. I guess you’re love. I’ve been in the dark for so long; maybe my eyes can’t see anymore? ...is that you? Then I retreat to my friend…darkness. (He’s a bastard, by the way.)

You’re smarter then me. Not in the classic sense, the streetwise sense.

I run away. You tolerate this. It’s a ridiculous habit. I don’t want to repeat this mistake. But I do because there is something you don’t know about me.

Something I’m trying to say…

Okay, I’ll just say it. The only reason I feel like I’m alive at ALL is because I became good, a long time ago, at keeping an emotional distance. “I don’t care what you do, do whatever, it’s nothing to me. You can’t hurt me.”

That’s my Motto.

I don’t feel that way anymore. Still, I want my Motto back. It’s hiding under the couch, down the ally or beneath the bed…I can’t find it. You keep cleaning my house so my Motto is running out of places to hide.
a
Stupid Motto.

Never-around-when-you-need-it Motto.

When you come back, Motto, things are going to be different around here.
a
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWaKbGPilPQ&feature=related

12 comments:

Everyday Goddess said...

What's my motto?

I surrender.

And then I get up to live a fuller life because I invited something to kill me, and it didn't.

Whatever I am afraid of, and let myself live out, has never been as bad as I thought it would be.

Let it try to kill you. It won't.

SSP said...

do or do not, there is no try

as in, love, or love not

Charmaine said...

How to surrender...it's an interesting concept.

Had I surrendered when the doctors announced my mothers cancer...she'd be dead.

I did not surrender. I fought like a lion.

But it's not the same thing. It's not what you are trying to tell me Goddess.

I understand. I'm trying to understand.

Lee said...

My motto...expect the worst hope for the best...thanks Jewish mom!

Ellie said...

If I ask, I will get what I need. Not always what I want... but it seems to work.

bernthis said...

I can't wait to give up my motto.

Irish Gumbo said...

'Do unto others...then run like hell'

No, no, wait...

'Amor Vincit Omnia'?

Hmmm...how about 'Love, anyway'?

Train Wreck said...

What a great post! Unfortunatley true for alot of us. You are a poet my friend. I thought I had a motto? After reading yours...I guess I don't. Have a great day.

Briana said...

I stole my motto from Winston Churchill.

"Never give in. Never give in. Never. Never. Never."

Unknown said...

Live each day to the fullest, as if it were your last. One of these days, it will be.

Maureen@IslandRoar said...

I don't know; I think the older we get the more we realize the walls we put up harm us more than protect us. So we get hurt?? Is it worth it to not be hurt if we never feel anything??
My Ex said to me the other day: "You don't know me."
"Yay," I said. "So nobody knows you. You'll die and nobody will know you. You win!"
I don't know how many opportunities at love I have left. But I know I want to Feel.
And you definitely are a poet. Beautifully written!

Anonymous said...

Ok chick! When I met Rick..He and everyone else told me how much I'd changed since meeting him.
In the beginning I was a bitter, man hater! I didn't think I was bitter but when I looked back, I could see that's exactly what I had become because of the hurt I held inside from the men that had hurt me.
Then Rick came along and everyone said, You have become nicer. I never knew I wasn't nice. I've changed because this was the true love I'd been waiting for.

I have a feeling, it's the same for you!